Nurture the monk in yourself and in others
The Oblates of Holy Wisdom Monastery is an intentional ecumenical community of women and men. Diverse in ages and faith traditions, they find spirituality for their daily lives in the Rule of Benedict. In a mutual relationship with the sisters’ community, oblates seek God through a balance of prayer, work, leisure and study. They meet regularly to help one another grow spiritually, to nurture the inward, spiritual journey and to integrate Benedictine spirituality into their lives.
Explore Benedictine spirituality
Oblates of Holy Wisdom Monastery, are invited to:
- study the Rule of Benedict, a guide for Christian spirituality
- pray with oblates and the monastic community
- deepen their spirituality
- develop a personal rule of life
- actively serve the monastery in some way
Make a commitment
to a larger vision
Individuals who desire to become an oblate of Holy Wisdom Monastery spend a year of discernment as an oblate candidate.
The oblate candidate commits to:
- grow spiritually through prayer, self-reflection, listening and participation
- learn and incorporate Benedictine values into their life
- deepen their connection specifically with Holy Wisdom Monastery
Individuals who are interested in becoming an oblate candidate first have a personal interview with a representative of the oblate leadership and then complete a written application. Candidates form as a class and come together as a group in the context of regularly scheduled oblate retreats at Holy Wisdom Monastery. The group also experiences one retreat set apart specifically for candidates.
Become an oblate candidate
Interested in joining the oblate community at Holy Wisdom? Click the button below to get more information about the community or how to apply to become an oblate candidate.
The first retreat for the next oblate candidate class is June 1, 2019 although you are welcome to attend an oblate retreat as a guest at any time.
Applications for the class of 2020 close on April 1, 2019.
Learn more about becoming
an oblate candidate
2018 Oblate gatherings:
- November 9-11, 2018—Benedict for Baby Boomers:
Aging Gracefully in the Footsteps of St. Benedict, led by Trisha Day
2019 Oblate gatherings:
- March 22-24, 2019—Friendship led by Brad Lutz & Promise Weekend
- May 3-5, 2019—Howard Thurman, African American Mystic and Prophet led by Joan Crawford
- July 12-14, 2019—Oblate 20th Anniversary Retreat
- September 20-22, 2019—Transformation of Consciousness led by Nancy Sylvester, IHM, founder of the Institute for Communal Contemplation and Dialogue
- November 8-10, 2019—Oblate Contemplative Retreat