Experience Benedictine Life at the Monastery
A weekend experience of Benedictine life for women who may be interested in a longer stay.
Are you a single, Christian woman, between the ages of 24-50, without dependent children who is interested in living in a monastery for six months?
This retreat is for you!
- Share a weekend with other women who are exploring their spiritual journey and who may be seeking greater meaning in life.
- Experience our rhythm of work and prayer, sharing and silence, reflection and service.
- Learn how life in a monastery develops skills for personal and spiritual growth, and community living.
- Find renewal in our beautiful setting.
- Hear more about Benedictine Sojourners, an extended, 6-month community living opportunity at Holy Wisdom Monastery.
- Ask questions and leave with a full heart.
Our religious community of Benedictine sisters—Catholic and Protestant women living, praying, learning and working together—invites you to see what life in a monastery is like.
- November 3-4, 2018 (apply by 10/20/18)
10:00 am Saturday – 12:30 pm Sunday
- November 3-4, 2018: $100 — This fee includes program, accommodations and meals, Saturday lunch through Sunday lunch.
Want to hear more?
Request a link to two short videos of women sharing their experiences about this retreat.Retreatant’s experiences
Interested in attending?
Fill out a retreat interest form and we will be in touch with you – a good chance to ask questions and find out if this retreat is right for you.Experience Benedictine Life interest form
Not interested in living in a monastery?
Attend a spiritual retreat for all women:A Weekend Away
What others are saying about this retreat:
“The retreat was a joy…the sisters are wise and welcoming. I left with a deep sense of peace which was such a gift in my busy life.” − Liz, a retreat participant
“Thank you for your remarkable hospitality and generosity in sharing your home, community and wisdom.” − Jill, a retreat participant
Sister Lynne Smith, OSB has been a sister at Holy Wisdom Monastery since 2000. Prior to entering the monastery she served as an ordained minister in the Presbyterian Church (USA) with churches in Kansas and Iowa. Sister Lynne is a trained spiritual guide, loves working in the garden and the prairie and serves as co-director of formation at the monastery.
Sister Paz Vital, OSB has been at Holy Wisdom Monastery since 2015 and become a sister in July 2017. Prior to entering the monastery she worked as a postdoctoral researcher at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas. Sister Paz is working towards a Master’s degree in theology and ministry for Latinos at Catholic Theological Union. She loves to walk the prairie trails around the monastery and cook Mexican food.
Denise West is a novice at Holy Wisdom. She came to Wisconsin in 2015 after teaching elementary school in New York for many years. Denise is excited to be on track as the next “master gardener” at the monastery.