- This event has passed.
Postponed – Summer Stewards 2020
June 17 @ 3:00 pm - June 23 @ 1:00 pm$150
“Through Summer Stewards I remembered or recognized for the first time in years how my spirituality and nature are connected.”
-2019 Participant of Summer Stewards
It can often be difficult to reconnect with one’s self and one’s spirituality in the hurrying world that we live in today. Life can be a constant struggle rushing from one step to the next. While some thrive in such an environment, others may choose a more thoughtful, slower path.
For those that fit into the second category, this event is for you.
If you are someone who seeks space for spiritual contemplation, community and a desire to care for the Earth, you may find Holy Wisdom Monastery’s Summer Stewards program this summer a perfect fit.
Summer Stewards is an opportunity for single, women, ages 18-35, to get a taste of monastic living at Holy Wisdom. It is a fulfilling, heartfelt and enlightening experience. Throughout the week, you will spend the time with the sisters in their day to day activities, including:
- Community living & prayer
- Live, work and pray.
- Learn about prairie and oak savanna restoration. Work with local experts and practice these techniques.
- Garden to table living
- Grow and harvest vegetables on the grounds of the monastery and help prepare meals from the produce.
- Spiritual practices
- Use spiritual practice during your stay, including mindfulness, meditation and contemplative art.
- Enjoy recreational activities in the beautiful Wisconsin weather, including swimming and hiking.
- Life-long learning is important at the monastery. Spend time in personal sharing, reading and discussion.
Who you’ll get to meet:
During your stay, you’ll get to meet each of the sisters, as well as several of the dedicated volunteers and organizers. Garden with Sister Lynne, restore the prairie with land manager Greg and cook the food you pick yourself with chef Robert in the kitchen.
- Since settling in Madison in 1954, the sisters have dedicated themselves to caring for the land. They are dedicated to creating hospitality, and welcoming spirituality of all kinds into the lives of their guests. They rely on the Rule of Benedict as a guide for these practices and lifestyle.
- Greg Armstrong, director of land management and environmental education, is a huge influence and leader of the Friends of Wisdom Prairie community that was started in 2014. He, all the members of Friends and volunteers are dedicated to restoring the 130 acres of Holy Wisdom Monastery land back to natural prairie and oak savanna.
- After working here for four years, Robert Kauper has become an irreplaceable member of our staff. He keeps us fed with his delicious recipes. Robert is constantly mindful of including a variety available for people of all diets, including gluten-free and vegan.
House on the hill:
Anna’s house was built by the very same architect who worked on the original monastery building (the retreat and guest house now). Since then, the two-story house has been converted into a guest home for the sisters’ friends and family. This year it will be home to our Summer Stewards.
With a beautiful Magnolia tree welcoming visitors, the house is ideal for any stay. Inside are large glass windows overlooking Lake Mendota, a full kitchen, two bathrooms, and a washer and dryer. Upstairs are three bedrooms, as well as a loft with three more beds that will be designated among the Stewards depending on preference and a first-come first-serve basis.
Start: (Wednesday) June 17 @ 3:00 pm
End: (Tuesday) June 23, 2020 @ 1:00 pm
Duration: 7 days
Covers food, lodging and all activities throughout the program.
Deadline: Wednesday, June 3, 2020
Looking for more information?
Contact Sister Denise West at:
- Text & phone: 608-235-0764
- Email: email@example.com