Director of Mission Advancement
Holy Wisdom Monastery is seeking a dynamic and results-oriented Director of Mission Advancement to realize bold goals and implement a strategic vision for a vital organization known for its compelling history of service and innovative and inclusive approach to mission. Holy Wisdom Monastery, located in Madison (Middleton), Wisconsin and overlooking scenic Lake Mendota, is home to the Benedictine Women of Madison and the Benedictine Life Foundation. There is also a non-denominational spirituality center with an overnight retreat and meeting facility. The monastery’s main building is one of the highest rated eco-designed buildings in the world. The campus, situated on 130 acres of rolling ecologically restored prairie and woods, includes a lake, nature trails, hermitages and two buildings used by individuals and groups for meeting and event space, overnight accommodations and meals.
The Director of Mission Advancement will work closely with the CEO, the Sisters, an experienced leadership team, and an engaged Board of Directors to ensure that the organization has enough resources to carry out its mission and advance its vision and values.
Duties and responsibilities
- Prepare and implement an annual plan for the development program to achieve the charitable giving objectives and strategic plan goals of the organization
- Organize and implement an ongoing major and planned giving program to include engaging the CEO, key staff and Board members in the solicitation process and securing major gifts from a portfolio of top prospects
- Oversee grant solicitations and foundation relations
- Establish and oversee policies and procedures needed to conduct an effective fund development program and campaign infrastructure
- Serve as the principal architect for comprehensive campaign efforts
- Manage and oversee the budget for the development program
- Work with the CEO and other organizational leaders in planning for the successful future of the organization
- Authentically reflect and portray the mission and core values of Holy Wisdom Monastery
- Local travel, some evenings and weekends, and participation in a variety of constituent events is expected
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of three years of effective fundraising experience and development leadership, preferably with organizations involved in substantial growth
- History of success in soliciting and securing major gifts is required, with preference given to candidates with experience in planning and managing comprehensive and/or capital campaigns Skills, knowledge and experience
• Demonstrated knowledge of all areas of development, including annual, major, and planned gifts, donor relations, development services, and communications
- Persuasive oral and written communication skills
- High level of personal and professional integrity
- Passion for the mission of Holy Wisdom Monastery and appreciation for ecumenical Benedictine spirituality
Salary and benefits
- Salary DOE, paid time off, health, dental, LTD/STD, vision and life insurance; retirement savings.
How to apply
- Send a cover letter, current resume and three references to:
Charles McLimans, CEO, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applications received prior to Friday, July 31, 2020, will receive priority
Holy Wisdom Monastery (Benedictine Women of Madison, Inc. and Benedictine Life Foundation, Inc.) is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. Holy Wisdom values diversity, equity and inclusion and is committed to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment as defined by federal, state and local law.
* * * * * * *
Volunteers are always needed at Holy Wisdom Monastery. Click here to learn more.