Volunteer in Community
Working on the land, living in community
- Meet God and yourself in nature.
- Experience knowledgeable leadership in ecology.
- Work with your hands, engage your mind.
- Take a break from your busy schedule just to be.
- Pray, work, listen, share meals, and make new friends in a beautiful, loving and affirming environment.
If you are a single woman, our Volunteer in Community program welcomes you to explore a shared way of life with the Benedictine Women of Madison. You’ll live at the monastery, and experience the rhythm of work, prayer, study and leisure in this ecumenical Benedictine community. You will work on the prairie and monastery grounds, share in common meals, explore Benedictine spirituality and deepen your relationship with God. You’ll have the opportunity to develop relationships with people of different backgrounds and traditions. We invite you to become part of a committed group of people working to preserve the natural and spiritual environment that makes Holy Wisdom Monastery special. Volunteer in Community June 10 – July 6, 2013
- Volunteer for at least two weeks and up to 4 weeks.
- Room and meals are provided.
- Follow this link for: a printable brochure about this program.
- Follow this link for: application information.
Past Volunteers in Community share their stories here :
- Read the Volunteer in Community article Benedictine Life in the 21st Century by Elizabeth A. Elliott, originally published on May 8, 2012 at BustedHalo.com.
- Read reflections from past Volunteers in Community.
- Read excerpts from a blog by Sarah Noceda, a 2011 volunteer.
- Read blog posts by Sara Jo Emmerich, a 2009 and 2011 volunteer.
Taste the experience of our 2012 Volunteers in Community - view the 2012 Volunteer in Community facebook album here. View the video below to see our 2012 Volunteers in Community in action. View the video below to see 2010 Volunteers in Community at work on the prairie here at Holy Wisdom Monastery. View the video below for an in-depth look at the 2009 Volunteer in Community experience. Video created by Jenn Lindsay, a 2009 participant.