‘Green’ Building Tours
Tour our ‘Green’ Monastery
“As an organization that works to promote sustainability, we were thrilled to have an opportunity to tour one of the leading examples of sustainable building in the country! Holy Wisdom Monastery is an inspiration. Thank you for taking the time to give our group a tour and for sharing your knowledge with us.”
-The Natural Step Monona
Hospitality is one of the core values of Benedictine spirituality. One way we live out this value is by providing tours of Holy Wisdom Monastery. Tour our ‘green’ monastery building, dedicated in November 2009, and certified by the US Green Building Council in 2010 at the platinum level, with 63 out of a possible 69 points on the LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) New Construction-v2.2 scale. Learn about geothermal heating and cooling, renewable resources, daylighting, photo voltaic cells, rain gardens, pervious concrete, green roofs, solar tubes and much more! You can download a report about the points awarded to Holy Wisdom Monastery on the LEED certification scale.
To read more in-depth posts on our blog about some of the features of our building, please click here. To read an article from the publication High Performing Buildings, which has information on energy usage statistics on the new building, please click here.
Types of Tours
- Self-Guided: Individuals can follow the self-guided tour brochure, available at the front desk, when the building is open. Weekday hours are 8:00 am – 4:30 pm and weekend hours vary (please call ahead). You can also view the PowerPoint presentation about the values of Benedictine Women of Madison and their motivations for constructing the new monastery.
- Monthly: Guided tours are held at different days and times each month (see schedule below). Tours begin at the front desk and last approximately 90 minutes. Cost: $5/person. Groups of 15 or more can contact us to schedule a tour at their convenience as well by contacting Mike at 608-836-1631, x124.
Monthly Guided Tours
Monthly guided tours are offered on the following dates:
- Friday, January 18, 2013 at 1:00 pm with Greg Armstrong
- Sunday, February 24, 2013 at 10:30 am with Neal Smith (optional: Sunday Assembly worship at 9:00 am)
- Saturday, April 6, 2013 at 1:00 pm with Greg Armstrong (optional: Community Workday and lunch from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm)
- Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at 3:00 pm with Mark Hanson (optional: evening prayer with the sisters at 4:30 pm)
- Wednesday, June 19 at 1:00 pm with Neal Smith
Holy Wisdom Monastery is located at 4200 County Road M, Middleton, WI. Get directions.
“As an organization that works to promote sustainability, we were thrilled to have an opportunity to tour one of the leading examples of sustainable building in the country! Holy Wisdom Monastery is an inspiration. Thank you for taking the time to give our group a tour and for sharing your knowledge with us.” -The Natural Step Monona
About the Tour Guides
Greg served on the Benedictine Life Foundation Board and other committees for 6 years. He also leads work groups at our Community Workday events and is the former executive director of the University of Wisconsin Arboretum.
Mark is the director of sustainable services at Hoffman, LLC, the company that provided planning, design and management services for the new monastery building.
Bill is a member of Sunday Assembly, our worshipping community. Bill has an avid interest in the LEED certification process.
Neal is the financial and facility consultant at Holy Wisdom Monastery. Neal was involved, from start to finish, with the design and construction of the new monastery building, and previously served as the executive director for 25 years before his retirement in June 2012.
For more information or to schedule a special tour, contact Mike at 608-836-1631, x124.